Snowmobile Orillia Near Greater Toronto Area…
Looking for a great destination for an easy weekend Ontario snowmobile tour? Check out what Snowmobile Orillia has to offer. Many riders are looking for weekend snowmobling getaways for their Ontario snowmobile tour.
Typically, destinations within quick and easy trailering distance are most popular. These are the ones that welcome snowmobilers with good amenities. They also provide enough groomed trails for two or three day rides where no saddle bagging is necessary.
Snowmobile Orillia Ontario Staging Location
Orillia (population: 30,000) is located on Highway 11. It’s less than 90 minutes of trailering north of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and the 401 Corridor.
Why Snowmobile Orillia Ontario?
Centrally located in Southern Ontario, Orillia is far enough north of the GTA to be in a reliable snowbelt without a long drive. Normally, its location also benefits from lake effect snow conditions coming off Georgian Bay.
Area trails offer a good mix of open field and forest riding. These include some at the southern edge of the Canadian Shield, with enough options to make your ride as long or short as you wish. The trails are well marked, maintained and mapped. They provide sufficient fuel and food stops. And they generally run through populated areas. So you’re never far from help and mostly within cell service.
Orillia itself offers most “big city” services and amenities. So everyone in the family can find something else to do, if they aren’t up for snowmobiling everyday. Nearby attractions include concerts and games at Casino Rama. Horseshoe or Mount St Louis Moonstone each provide downhill skiing.
Meanwhile, Hardwood Hills offers cross-country. And ice fishing flourishes on Lake Couchiching. Bonus: In cooperation with the local snowmobile club, Orillia provides an excellent snowmobile corridor through town via TOP B112B.
Best Western Couchiching Inn. Full service hotel with hot tub and sauna. It offers a free hot breakfast at on site restaurant, plus ample truck and trailer parking at the back. There’s also on snow access to gas station and convenience store next door,
- Road Access to Hotel – Trailer on Highway 12 to east side of town. Hotel is just west of the narrows between Lakes Simcoe and Couchiching.
- Sled Access to Hotel – Ride local trail 203 to the end.
- Access from Hotel to Trails – Ride either the trail corridor through town or staked lake trails across Lake Couchiching.
- Portage Bistro (Best Western Couchiching Inn)
- St Germain’s Steakhouse (Casino Rama)
- The Grape & Olive (Best Western Mariposa Inn)
- Wild Wing (near hotel).
- McCauley Equipment Sales (Arctic Cat)
- Leatherdale Marine (Ski-Doo)
- Byers Motorsports (Polaris)
- Orillia Motorsport (Yamaha)
- West toward Midland, Penetanguishene, Wasaga & Collingwood (OFSC District 8 Trail Guide).
- North toward Gravenhurst, Bala & Port Severn (OFSC Districts 7 & 8 Trail Guides).
- Southwest toward Barrie, Alliston, Creemore & Stayner (OFSC Districts 4 & 8 Trail Guides).
- East toward Brechin, Fenelon Falls & Kinmount (OFSC Districts 2, 3 & 8 Trail Guides).
Snowmobile Orillia Ontario Info
- Ontario’s Lake Country Tourism
- OFSC (trail permits and online trail guide)
- OFSC District 8
- Orillia & District Snowmobile Club
The tips and advice in this blog are the opinions of the author, may not work in every situation and are intended only for the convenience and interest of the reader, who has the personal responsibility to confirm the validity, accuracy and relevancy of this information prior to putting it to their own use.