OFSC Trails Lead to Ontario’s Best Butter Tarts…
Why not tart up your Ontario snowmobile tour? There are many good reasons to go snowmobiling. One of them is discovering Ontario’s best butter tarts. This is a worthy, if never-ending mission. Many snowmobilers take it as seriously as what brand of sled they ride and where to find great snow conditions. It’s also a controversial search. It pits yummy pastry aficionados against gooiest filling seekers. It spotlights the nuts versus raisins versus plain enthusiasts…
I had no doubt this blog would rouse some deep-seated passions. To date it’s reached more than 50,000 snowmobilers, many of whom made their own recommendations. So I’ve now included these below if the suggested place is trail accessible.
So my preliminary list of butter tart contenders accessible by snowmobile trail to riders in search of their next sugar fix has grown. It started from one that was assembled from the first hand experiences of two dedicated butter tart addicts, myself and Rick (Nutter) Sauer of the Port Perry Snowmobile Club. Many more good candidates are now waiting for your visit on your next Ontario snowmobile tour.
I know this trail-only approach leaves out many top contenders that are not snowmobile accessible. But what good are they to snowmobilers if we can’t get to them by while riding our snow machines?
My plan is to add even more trail accessible butter tart places recommended by other snowmobilers to this list. So if you have any favourites to share (or comments about those already listed), please go to my Facebook page and let me know.
Please note that this list is in alphabetical order by region and does not indicate that any one place is better than any others – only that each qualifies as worth trying.
Ontario’s Best Butter Tarts – Central
- Apsley (Kawarthas ) – Swiss Bear Restaurant & Bakery on Hastings Highland Tour via Club Trails 632/631 off TOP Trail E107
- Minden (Ontario’s Highlands) – Molly’s Bistro and Bakery via TOP Trail B112
- Muskoka (Explorer’s Edge) – Summerland General Store via TOP Trail D on Housey’s Rapids Rd south of Gravenhurst
- Orrville (Explorer’s Edge) – Orrville Bakery just off Seguin Trail (TOP C103D) – recommended by Ken Sword & Nunzio Iacobellis
- Port Sydney (Explorer’s Edge) – Uncle Larry’s General Store on TOP D103B – recommended by Steve Crowell
Ontario’s Best Butter Tarts – Eastern
- Arnprior (Ontario’s Highlands) – Antrim Truck Stop on TOP A – recommended by Codie MacDonald
- Barry’s Bay (Ontario’s Highlands) – The Baykery, accessible by sled. 200 ft from the staging area behind BMO on TOP B102 or 100ft from the Esso Station – recommended by Pinewoood Inn.
- Cardiff (Ontario’s Highlands) – Cardiff Country Store via TOP Trail E110 at Club Trail 615
- Gilmour (Ontario’s Highlands) – Trudy’s Place via TOP Trail E107
- Griffith (Ontario’s Highlands) – Pine Valley Restaurant via TOP E101
- Lake St Peter (Ontario’s Highlands) – Lake St Peter General Store on TOP carries Algonguin Gourmet Butter Tarts- recommended by Phil Anderson
- North Gower (Ottawa & Countryside) – Marlborough Pub & Eatery via Club Trail RSC55 – recommended by Tim Spraggs and Anil Hayne
- Osgoode (Ottawa & Countryside) – Red Dot Cafe via Club Trail KOC off TOP A – recommended by Carol Chayer
- Whitney (Ontario’s Highlands) – Algonquin Lunch Stop on TOP B106E – recommended by Jessica Roberston
Ontario’s Best Butter Tarts – Northern
- Atikokan area (Northwestern Ontario) – Quetico North access off TOP A via club trail across Eva Lake (Lat 48.6937 Lon -91.1959) – recommended by Kim Cross
- Aubrey Falls (Algoma Country) – Black Creek Outfitters on North Shore Loop via TOP Trail F at junction with TOP Trail D106
- Bonfield (Northeastern Ontario) – Dinner Bell Restaurant on Explorers Snow Tour via Club Trail BF201
- Foleyet area (Northeastern Ontario) – Horwood Lake Lodge remote location accessed via its own private trail (34 km) off of TOP C101D about 48 km east of Foleyet. Sounds like a gem, but call ahead and plan to stay the night – recommended by Mike Brazeau.
- Kenogami (Northeastern Ontario) – Kenogami’s Kitchen on TOP A – recommended by Ken McGregor and Darren Arsenault
- Marten River (Northeastern Ontario) – Rock Pine Restaurant on TOP A – recommended by Yvettte Potter Kramer
- Mindemoya (Manitoulin Island) – Mum’s Restaurant and Bakery via Club Trail M4
- Nairn Center (Northeastern Ontario) – Jeremy’s Country Restaurant on Rainbow Elk Loop via TOP Trail D
- Warren (Northeastern Ontario) – Kate’s Country Kitchen off TOP Trail D104 on NV502 – recommended by Shawn Jantzi
Ontario’s Best Butter Tarts – Western
- Belwood (Huron, Perth, Waterloo & Wellington) – Belwood Super Snax on club trail just off TOP 202 – recommended by Maddie Halpert
- Chatsworth (Bruce Grey Simcoe) – Kettles Back Home Cookin’ off TOP B110 just north of Chatsworth – recommended by Ron Listhaeghe
- Mitchell (Huron, Perth, Waterloo & Wellington) – Chums Cafe via Club Trail 5-40 – recommended by Derrick Drews, Somer Meadows & Stephen Smith
- Mount Forest (Huron, Perth, Waterloo & Wellington) – The Spot Restaurant on Queen’s Bush Tour via TOP B111
Like This Post? Follow Me on Facebook
The tips and advice in this blog are the opinions of the author, may not work in every situation and are intended only for the convenience and interest of the reader, who has the personal responsibility to confirm the validity, accuracy and relevancy of this information prior to putting it to their own use.